According to Article 4 Circular no. 13/2021/TT- BGDDT, higher education degrees granted to Vietnamese/foreigners by foreign educational institutions shall be recognized in the following cases:
1. Degrees awarded by foreign educational institutions shall be recognized when the study or research duration of the degree programs are appropriate to the structural framework of the national education system and either of the following conditions is fulfilled:
a) The degree program has been accredited by an accrediting organization of the home country of the foreign educational institution as suitable for the mode of study; or
b) The foreign educational institution is permitted to provide training and award the degree by the competent education authority of its home country or has been accredited by an accrediting organization of its home country.
2. Degrees awarded by foreign educational institutions operating in another country besides their home countries (including in Vietnam) may be recognized when these institutions are permitted to establish a branch and provide training or participate in joint training or training cooperation by competent education authorities of both countries; provide training according to their licenses and meet the regulations in Clause 1 of this Article.
3. Online-learning and blended-learning degrees awarded by foreign educational institutions may be recognized when they meet the regulations in Point a Clause 1 herein and either of the following conditions:
a) The Ministry of Education and Training permits provision of the degree program in Vietnam to learners living and studying in Vietnam;
b) The competent education authority of the country where the degree program is provided permits provision of the program to learners living and studying in that country;
4. The Minister of Education and Training has the power to decide recognition of degrees awarded by foreign educational institutions to learners affected by war, natural disasters, epidemics, fire and other force majeure events.
- The degree holder, his/her representative at law or authorized person who applies for recognition of higher education degrees granted by a foreign educational institution shall send two (02) sets of dossier specified below directly or by post to the Vietnam National Academic Recognition Information Centre (VN-NARIC);
- After receiving a complete and valid dossier, VN-NARIC shall issue a receipt to the applicant; if the dossier is sent by post, the date on postmark is used as the date of receipt of the dossier;
- Within 20 working days, the recognition authority shall notify the applicant of the degree recognition result. In case where information on the degree needs to be verified by the foreign educational institution or a foreign verifying unit, this deadline may be extended to no more than 45 working days in total starting from the date of receipt of the degree recognition application.
Each applicant shall provide information on the degree using the foreign degree recognition application form on the online public service portal of the Ministry of Education and Training or Department of Education and Training or on the website of VN-NARIC.
The foreign degree recognition application form with hand-written signature have to be submitted directly or by post to VN-NARIC:
- Copy of the degree or copy of replacement degree certificate enclosed with a notarized Vietnamese translation and copies of directly relevant degrees and certificates;
- Copy of the degree’s appendix or transcript enclosed with a notarized Vietnamese translation;
- Proof of overseas study (if any);
- Letter of authorization of verification of degree’s information (if requested by the awarding institution).
- The fee of 500,000 VND (appr $25) /degree for degrees granted by foreign educational institutions to Vietnamese citizens after completing overseas education programs (including full-time study; part-time study, final-stage of joint-training abroad);
- The fee of 250,000 VND (appr $15) /degree for degrees granted by foreign educational institutions to Vietnamese students (including complete training transferring programs in Vietnam; multi-phase programs in Vietnam, joint training programs conducted entirely in Vietnam or a foreign educational institution with Vietnamese campus like RMIT Vietnam).
Please send dossier along with a copy of the bank's proof of payment / print from the computer transferred from internetbanking / ATM invoice by post (express delivery) to VN-NARIC by address:
Vietnam National Academic Recognition Information Center (VN-NARIC)
Address: 1st Floor, House 8C, Lane 30 Ta Quang Buu - Hai Ba Trung - Hanoi.
Phone: +84 243 8684996 - Ext: 1
Official website: http://en.naric.edu.vn/
V. Appeal/Annulment of degree recognition results
- Complaints and denunciations and the settlement of complaints and denunciations regarding violations of law in diploma recognition comply with the law on complaints and denunciations.
- Handling of violations: Individuals who commit acts of violating the provisions of this Document shall, depending on the nature and severity of their violations, be disciplined, administratively sanctioned or examined for penal liability; if causing damage, they shall pay compensations therefor in accordance with law.
- In case it is verified that a degree is not lawful or a degree recognition application is not honest, the degree recognition result will be annulled.
- Head of the recognition authority has the power to issue decisions on annulment of degree recognition result and certificate revocation, which must include the reason for such annulment and revocation.
- Every decision on annulment of degree recognition result and certificate revocation shall be posted on the portal of the recognition authority and sent to the degree holder, inspection and violation detection authority (if any), workplace of the degree holder (if any) and relevant regulatory bodies and organizations.