According to the Circular number 08/2017/TT-BGDĐT dated 04/April/2017 by the Ministry of Education and Training, the latest (since the 20th of May, 2017) regulations for Doctoral training are as follows
1) Requirements for the applicants: (all applicants must fulfill these criteria)
- Attained a Master’s Degree or a Bachelor Degree with qualification grade of at least “Good”.
- Has published 01 article or report to a scientific magazine or convention summary on the researching matter within 3 years (36 months) leading to the application to the program
- For Vietnamese applicants, one of the following documents must be presented to ensure sufficient foreign language capabilities.
a) A Bachelor or Master's degree issued by a foreign education institution to full-time students whose language used in the learning process is English or another foreign language;
b) A Bachelor Degree in foreign language disciplines granted by Vietnamese education institutions;
c) Achieved the minimum of 45 TOEFL IBT or 5.0 IELTS (Academic Test) from an international or Vietnamese accredited testing organization granted within 02 years (24 months) leading to the application;
d) Applicants must ensure that once met requirements a, b, c, they must be able to communicate with others, as well as comprehend matters regarding their studies and researches.
e) Applicants for the English Language Doctorate program must acquire certification of another language to the same standards held in a, b, c.
- For foreign applicants, it is required to attain at least Vietnamese language of level 4/6 according to national framework or meet the requirements of the corresponding education institution.
- All applicants must meet the experience needed for specific managerial fields, as required by corresponding education institution.
2) The details of the training program
a) The volume of classes for PhD candidates with a Master’s Degree must accumulate to 90 credits and 120 credits for candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree.
b) The outcome standards must consist of practical and theoretical knowledge, awareness of the current state, the application of one’s field, as well as communication skills. Other factors are self-disciplinary, personal responsibility on the research matter. The ability to execute professional tasks must be at level 8 of national framework, issued in Decision 1982/QD-TTg dated October 18th, 2016 by the Prime Minister.
b) In special cases, the fellows may shorten or prolong their study time according to the provisions of Clause 7 of this Article.
a) For candidates with Master’s Degree, the program will be shaped upon modules accumulated during their Masters, with updated knowledge, extending the requirements of the researching fields. The leaders of corresponding institutions are responsible for determining the amount of research credits each candidate must fill fulfill.
b) For candidates without Master’s Degree, it is required to add the modules included from the training of such degree (major-oriented, not included the foreign language requirements and thesis). The minimum ammount of added modules is 30 to ensure the level 7 at executing professional tasks for all candidates upon finishing.
a) Essays and thesis persuade candidates to engage their analytical, deductive skills while assessing researches domestically and internationally to sum up the purpose of one’s thesis.
b) Modules within the program demand candidates to elevate their research ability, updating new knowledge directly linked to the researching field of the thesis
c) Each candidate must fulfill 06-09 modules totaling 14-20 credits, included 02-03 determined by the leaders of corresponding institutions.
3) Thesis requirements
a) Fully cite and specify sources of references of research results belongs to other authors (if any);
b) In case the dissertation uses the content of the scientific work of the collective, but the research student is a co-author, there must be a written agreement of the other co-authors allowing the doctoral student to use the results of researchers;
c) Comply with other provisions of International intellectual property law.